Electronic benefit transfer (EBT) is like a debit card but has its functionality reduced when compared with a debit card.
Its functionality depends on the type of benefit received by the beneficiary. If it is a benefit received through Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), then it is limited to food and nonalcoholic beverages.
It is a good thing Walmart is one of the authorized retailers that you can purchase eligible items from using EBT cards. Though, not all items can be bought at Walmart using the EBT cards; only a few items at Walmart are eligible for EBT card purchase.
This article will guide you through and answer the question of what can you buy with EBT at Walmart.
It will also go further to tell you how to use EBT to purchase EBT-eligible items at Walmart and many other things you ought to know. Have a nice read!
What Can You Buy with EBT at Walmart and How?
The federal government program to assist low-income families and individuals whose income could not cover the cost of nutritious food items is the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as the Food Stamp Program.
Participants who meet the requirements for the SNAP benefits will receive them on the Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card. The EBT card works like a debit card and the benefits to be received are automatically loaded into the registered accounts every month.
Fortunately, Walmart accepts the payment of item purchases through EBT cards. This is good news for lovers of Walmart or those who wish to benefit from Walmart’s everyday low prices on groceries and items.
Across the United States, most Walmart stores accept EBT cards as a mode of payment in-store for SNAP-eligible items. Purchases can be made online or on the Walmart app using EBT cards as well.
What Items Can You Buy at Walmart with SNAP Benefits (EBT Cards)
Items you can buy at Walmart using the SNAP benefits or EBT cards are food items approved by the body in charge (Food and Nutrition Service) of disbursing the SNAP benefits.
Walmart can not add items eligible for purchase through EBT cards on its own unless the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) approves more food items.
The items that can be bought at Walmart include food items, groceries, and nonalcoholic beverages. A list of them is highlighted below:
- Fruits and vegetables such as cucumbers, eggplants, tomatoes, carrots, oranges, apples, and more fruits and vegetables available in your locality.
- Poultry, fish, and meats
- Dairy products like milk, butter, cheese, yogurt, ice cream, and any other product made from milk.
- Breads and cereals
- Snack foods
- Non-alcoholic beverages
- Seeds and plants that are capable of producing food products for the household to eat.
Items Can You Not Buy at Walmart with EBT cards
Items you are allowed to buy with the SNAP EBT cards are food items, groceries, and nonalcoholic beverages. A list of items not allowed has been mentioned below:
- Alcohol, beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes, or tobacco.
- Medicines, vitamins, and supplements. Items marked with a supplement facts label are considered supplements as well and are not eligible for SNAP EBT purchase.
- All live animals except fish removed from water, shellfish, and animals slaughtered before pickup from the store.
- Hot foods at the point of sale.
- Other non-food items such as pet foods, cleaning supplies, paper products, and other household supplies.
- Cosmetics and hygiene items as well.
Note: Restaurants are not eligible for SNAP authorization as retail food stores.
How to Know Your Local Walmart Store Accept Snap Benefits or EBT Cards
The SNAP Retail Locator is a tool that allows you to know whether your store is authorized to accept SNAP benefits or EBT cards as a form of payment.
It also helps you to know nearby authorized SNAP retailers. All you have to do is to enter the street address, zip code, or city and state you are located or the area you wish to know about.
Steps to Know a Nearby SNAP-Authorized Store or Retailer
- Open the SNAP Retail Locator on your browser.
- Search for the area you wish to know or click on the location icon to detect your location. I searched for retailers in Sacramento in my case.
Note: You can increase or decrease the range of search by increasing or decreasing the slider under the search bar respectively.
Visit the FNS USDA site for more information.
Can You Buy at Walmart Online Using EBT cards?
Yes, SNAP EBT beneficiaries can use the EBT card to checkout online in most states. Find the states listed below.
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
If your state is not listed here, Walmart is working with the USDA to extend its coverages to other locations.
Steps To Buy Online Using EBT Cards
Follow the subsequent steps to know how to use SNAP EBT cards to pay at checkout online.
- Create a Walmart account if you do not own one or sign in by clicking on the Sign in button if you have an account.
- After a successful login, click on the three horizontal line icon to display the menu.
- Click on Accounts
- Click on Wallet
- Click on Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) and enter your first name, last name, and card number.
- Then click Save card.
- Select items and you will see EBT-eligible items.
- On the Select payment method screen, select the EBT checkbox to pay with EBT.
- Enter the EBT food or EBT amount you would like to use.
- Click Continue when you are done entering the payment method.
- Allow up to 24 hours for the no-basket minimum to take effect on your account.
- If your EBT funds is not enough to cover your entire order, you can divide up the remaining amount with a personal credit or debit card.
Walmart allows the purchase of food items like vegetables and fruits, dairy products, meats, fish, and poultry, snacks, seed and plants, and nonalcoholic beverages with the EBT card.
Items not in those categories can not be bought with SNAP benefits EBT cards.