How to Get a Walmart Refund: It is very important to be informed about Walmart’s return policy so as to know how to go about a return should we find ourselves in such situations.
How To Get a Walmart refunds
There are a lot of things that can go wrong when you’re shopping. You might end up with the wrong size, or the product might be defective. If this happens, you may be able to get a Walmart refund. However, the process can be confusing if you’ve never done it before.
This guide will walk you through the process step by step so that you can get your money back quickly and easily.
About Walmart Return Policy.
Walmart, a retail company, runs a very strict return policy.
The following are basic requirements from Walmart before a return can be termed valid and accepted;
- Any customer who wishes to return any item should ensure that the item is in good condition and in its original package.
- It is important to provide a receipt or a barcode as proof of payment for the item you wish to return in a Walmart store, so as to hasten a refund or an exchange for another item.
- If you do not have a receipt as proof for an item you want to return, then you must provide a valid government issued identity Card (ID) so that Walmart can check their secured database for information that matches with your ID.
- All returns should be made within 90 days after purchase with few exceptions to specified items which will be explained below.
- Walmart can only make refunds to credit or debit cards used in making payments to Walmart.
- If your credit or debit card is not available for scanning and verification of payment process, then you’ll get a refund through Walmart’s gift card or shopping card.
Walmart Returns Exceptions
Walmart runs a very strict return policy and retains the right to decline a return of an item from customers under several circumstances. Irrespective of the fact whether such a customer has a receipt or not.
Meanwhile, Walmart store managers reserve the right to accept or decline a return of any item brought in by a customer.
Under no circumstances can he or she accept a return on an ineligible item.
The store manager is supposed to use his discretion to know which items can present a potential safety and health risk to an individual, this helps him know which items to decline and accept.
The Window Period to Return Some Items on Walmart
Some items on Walmart have to be returned with a receipt before there can be an exchange or Walmart refund. The window period for some is as short as 14 days while some extend to 1 year depending on the item bought.
Here are some specified exceptions to the general 90 day rule on return of items by Walmart’s customers;
Items that should be returned within 14 days of purchase in order to get a refund or an exchange
- Wireless cellular phones that have been opened and used can only be exchanged for another with equal or greater value if a valid receipt is presented, and of course the phone is in good condition.
If the stipulated number of days is exceeded, Walmart retains the right to reject such items.
- Postpaid cellular phones can only be returned at the original store of purchase. You have to bear in mind that some contractual requirements would be applicable.
Items that should be returned within 30 days of purchase in order to get a refund or an exchange
- Personal computer components like graphic card, RAM, motherboard, keyboard, etc, must be returned within 30 days of purchase in order to get a refund.
- Electronics like; Camera, digital music players, electronic reader, tablets, personal computer, cellular phones, radio controlled vehicles, portable video player, television etc, should be returned within 30 days of purchase.
- New and unused drones can be returned and refunded.
- Hoverboards, Consumer Electronics, Electric Scooters, Verizon Postpaid Wireless Phones, Walmart Protection Plans, and AppleCare+
Items that should be returned within 60 days of purchase in order to get a refund or an exchange
- Prescription contacts.
- Prescription glasses.
- Hearing aids.
Items that should be returned within 90 days of purchase in order to get a refund or an exchange
- Home and Garden equipment like lawn mowers, pressure washers, air conditioners, chainsaws, generators, compressors, hedge trimmers, etc must be returned within 90 days with a receipt and all flammable materials they may contain must be drained before return.
- Unmounted or new tires can be returned to any Walmart store with Auto Care Center. Stores without Auto Care Center do not accept tire returns.
- Photo products or prints and personalization items like mugs, blankets, calendars, etc must be returned within 90 days but must not be returned by mail.
- Major Appliances like washing machines, refrigerators, and ranges are not accepted in Walmart stores and should be returned in like-new conditions, uninstalled, and with all original packaging.
- Uninstalled and unused toilet bowls, urinals, and toilets are returnable within 90 days with receipt.
Items that should be returned within 1 year of purchase in order to get a refund or an exchange
- All perennials.
Other Exceptions to Walmart’s Return Policy.
Walmart does not accept returns on;
- Firearm ammunition.
- Prescribed Medication.
- Gift card.
- Gas powered vehicles.
- Test kits.
- Diabetic supplies.
- Medical equipment.
- Trading cards.
- Used tires.
- Breast pump.
- Airsoft guns
- Peppery spray.
When there is a high level of returns connected to your identification card, Walmart will sense fraudulent activity and decline a return from your end.
Walmart reserves the right to close Walmart.com accounts or decline the return of any item if a customer violates or abuses Walmart’s return policy.
Walmart Items Ineligible for Return, Replacement, or Walmart Refund
Listed below are some of the items ineligible for return at Walmart or a Walmart refund.
Firearms and Ammunition
- Airsoft and Airguns, Crossbows, BB Guns.
- Pepper Spray
- Gas Powered Recreational Vehicles e.g Dirt Bikes, Scooters, UTVs and ATVs, Ride-Ons, Go-Karts, etc
- Used or Mounted Tires, Snow Tires, Rims, and Wheels.
- Opened and unopened trading cards.
Prescription Medications and Devices
- Items containing pseudoephedrine, phenylpropanolamine, and ephedrine.
- Sex Toys & Vibrators, Ovulation Tests, Pregnancy Tests, and Home Diagnostic Testing Kits.
- Hygienic Medical Equipment (e.g opened or unsealed breast pumps, bath seats, eye drop guides, sitz baths, bedpans)
- Diabetic Supplies include meters, strips, lancets, lancet devices, and syringes (there are exceptions).
- Used or installed RV sewer lines, toilets, toilet bowls, and urinals.
- Walmart Express BillPayments
- Branded Gift Cards (Visa, MC, Amex)
- Reloadable Credit/Debit Cards
- Check/Card Cashing Fee
- Premium Tech Support and Security without McAfee Total Protection
Other Service Items and Products
- Prepaid Cell Phone Cards
- Video Game Download Cards
- Sim Cards
- Gift Cards
- Prepaid Gaming Cards
- Video On Demand
Note: Unless specified, electronic games and software are not returnable after purchase and so do not qualify for a Walmart refund.
How Do I Return an Item to the Walmart Store with a Receipt?
If you need to return an item back to Walmart’s store, then you’ll have to go in person with the receipt of the item you intend to return.
Ensure that the item is in good condition and in its original packaging.
Locate the customer service desk and request that you need to return an item, Explain to them why you need to return the item.
If the reasons for returns are authentic, the customer service representative will request that you hand over the receipt and item for verification to check for authentication of both the receipt and goods.
Once everything is verified, you can return the item and get reimbursed.
You can either exchange the item for another item of equal value, get a Walmart gift card in the form of a refund, receive cash as a refund, or a credit payment would be issued by Walmart, which could take within 3-10 working days to receive.
I don’t have a receipt for my item. Will Walmart accept a return without a receipt?
Walmart’s return policy without a receipt is not very strict.
You don’t need to panic if you have misplaced the receipt of the item you intend to return.
All you have to do is go in with your government issued ID card, and it will be scanned in Walmart’s secured database.
If the information in Walmart’s database matches that on your ID card and the item you wish to return is in good condition in its original packaging, then you can be sure your return will be accepted.
Of course, you will need to return such an item within 90 days of purchase to be eligible for a return. Anything that stays beyond 90 days with a customer is ineligible for return.
A Walmart attendant would be called upon to ask you certain questions that would inform them about the day, date, and time of the purchase.
The following options are available to a customer who makes a return without a receipt if the verification process accepts the return.
Customers who return an item without a receipt have the option to opt for an item exchange once the verification process accepts the return.
A cash refund.
After a successful verification process, customers who return items without a receipt can choose to get a cash refund if the Walmart refund value of the returned item or purchases is less than $10.
Walmart Shopping Card or Gift Card.
If the item(s) or purchases returned have a Walmart refund value of $10 or more, customers will get a Walmart shopping card or a gift card worth the refund.
Customers who return an item without a receipt can also send the item to the manufacturer for repair if the option is available.
If Walmart or the seller can verify the delivery or the frequent abuse by such a customer, the Walmart refunds issued are subject to recharge.
Gift items without a gift receipt can be exchanged or refunded to the gift card. Cash is refunded for items below $10.
Reasons Customers Return Their Orders or Purchases;
After getting a package, a customer might not be happy with the quality, quantity, or anything else about it and decide to return it for a similar item or a Walmart refund.
Change of Mind
Customers can have a change of heart after receiving a package. The package may be a waste of money, unnecessary, or useless. In this case, they initiated a return and got a Walmart refund.
Damaged or Defective product
When the item received is damaged or has a defect, customers may decide to return it to get a replacement or opt for a Walmart refund instead.
Failure to Cancel an Order
A customer may want to cancel an order for any reason, stated or not, but can’t do so because the order has already been processed. In this situation, the customer just returns the order received and gets a Walmart refund or other item.
Can I get a refund from Walmart as soon as I successfully return an item?
How soon your money is refunded back to you is dependent on your bank.
Walmart is not entirely responsible for your refund; Walmart only issues a refund back to your credit card, but the bank is the final agent that completes that action.
The duration varies from bank to bank; it could take within 3–10 working days to get your money back.
But if you used a card as a debit, Walmart may issue you a cashback pay policy, which is the quickest way of getting a refund.
If you ordered an item from the website that wasn’t sold by Walmart’s store and you are dissatisfied with the outcome and need to make a return, you won’t be getting your money back, but Walmart will give you a gift card in the form of a refund.
How Do I Get Walmart’s Refund?
Walmart gives customers their money back using the same method of payment they used to buy the item they are returning.
Below is Walmart’s refund policy clearly outlined;
Walmart’s Refund Policy
- Walmart policy on Refunds of in-store and by mail order will be issued to the original method of payment.
- If your order was canceled and not shipped, the hold will expire in accordance with the time frame set by your bank which could be within 3-10 working days.
- If you paid in cash at a Walmart’s store, you can only get a refund from Walmart’s store. You will get an email requesting your refund preferences which you could choose to pick up at Walmart’s customer service counter or have Walmart mail you a refund check.
- Gift cards, electronic gift cards or PayPal refunds will be issued to the original method of payment, which usually takes 3-10 working days to receive, depending on the financial institution you operate with.
- Walmart does not refund shipping fees.
Can I Get A Refund From Walmart For An Item I Did Not Receive?
In cases of missing items or items that you have not received but have been charged for, Walmart advises that you file a complaint letter to the seller (Walmart) and express your grievances.
You should also consider getting help from Call for Action and Consumer Action. If you’re not happy with how they responded to your plea, you can talk about it on social media. This will draw Walmart’s attention to you and make them take your case seriously.
This is described as a billing error, and you can dispute the charge by contacting your financial institution.
Billing errors are simply charges for items you did not receive, accept, or that were not delivered to you as agreed.
You need to dispute the billing error in writing within 60 days of when the error was sent to you.
You have to send a dispute letter to your credit card issuer at the address listed for the billing dispute, which you can find online or on your credit card agreement.
You may as well attach some copies of documents showing the expected delivery date and any notice the seller sent to you concerning a shipping delay.
The credit card issuer must acknowledge your dispute in writing within 30 days of receiving it. The dispute should be resolved within 90 days after receiving your letter.
If you discover that Walmart has not shipped your item yet, you can decide to cancel the order and opt for a refund, which will take place within 3–10 working days once your barcode, ID card, and order number have been verified.
Can I get a refund from Walmart if I paid cash and my receipt barcode got messed up?
Yes, you can get a refund, but in the form of Walmart’s gift card or an exchange for an identical item or item of equal value.
If the receipt shows Walmart and shows the item you purchased and the price you paid, it shows the receipt is legitimate, irrespective of the fact that the bar code is blurred out. You are entitled to a refund.
But if the item you want to return is not in good condition and Walmart’s store manager does not seem to consider the item eligible for returns, then your return will be declined.
Also, if the barcode on the receipt is present but has been blacked out, Walmart may decline a return, because it usually indicates a donated item, and donations cannot be returned.
Do I Get a Walmart Refund If My Order Is Canceled and Does Not Ship?
If your order is canceled and does not ship, the refund will be based on Walmart charges and authorization holds.
Pending charges or authorizations help Walmart make sure that your payment method has enough money to cover your order before it ships.
Once your financial institution approves the authorization, Walmart immediately sends a release of the authorized funds, and it may take up to 7 business days before the authorization hold falls off your account.
Steps to Return A Items Using Mobile App or Website
So if you ordered an item from Walmart’s online stores and you are not 100 percent satisfied with the outcome, you can either return the item to the nearest Walmart store or return it by mail.
Whichever method you choose, you can begin an online return procedure at Walmart.com/return.
Here are some steps to make an online return;
- Sign into your Walmart’s account through the Walmart site or app.
- Select Account in the menu or icon tab.
- Click on Purchase History to see your latest and old orders.
- Click on order details when you locate the order you wish to return an item from.
- Select Start a Return from the available options.
- Tick the checkboxes of the item or items you wish to return.
- Click on Continue and state or select the reason you want to return the item or items.
- Pick a choice between getting a replacement of the item(s) or a Walmart refund.
- If you would like to add a comment, there is a section available for that.
- Save your return process by clicking on the Save button.
After completing the return process online, you will be sent an email with your return label attached. You have the choice to print the return label from your email or purchase history.
- If you want to return multiple items of the same order, repeat the steps from step 6. Click on continue and choose the method of return you prefer.
- Returning multiple items from multiple orders have to be processed separately. Only items purchased in the same order can have their return processed together.
Modes of Returning an Online Order or Purchase
There are four ways to send something back when you start a return. The way your purchase or order can be sent back will be shown when you start the return.
The four modes of return are listed below:
- Pickup Scheduling
You can schedule the items or purchases to be returned by pickup.
- Walmart Store Return
If you are taking the item back to the store, then be sure to go with the printed barcode displayed on your screen and a return label or a confirmation email sent. Also, ensure that the item is in good condition in its original packaging.
- Return by Mail
If you want to make a return by mail, then you will have to print the store return receipt found under your order, which will appear on your account page.
You also need to print your shipping label, also found on your account page.
Take the item to your local post office or FedEx in its original glory.
Walmart will immediately process your refund once they’ve received the item.
In order for you to be certain that your item is eligible for a return and refund, you need to log into your Walmart account and enter the TC number on the receipt.
Your item will be displayed, and you can choose one item for a return. The website will tell you if the item is eligible for a return or not.
- FedEx Location Drop Off
This is only limited to FedEx as you return the package by attaching the printed return label to the package and dropping off your return at FedEx.
- If the item or purchase to be returned is oversized and you are unable to take it to your local carrier, contact Walmart customer service using the Contact Us button.
- Walmart reserves the right to reject or limit a return irrespective of the presence of a receipt or not.
- The store manager has the final right on whether to accept or decline a return.
Walmart refunds may be immediate or within 3–10 business days, depending on the mode of payment for the purchase of the returned item or your financial institution.
It’s best to keep the packaging and extra parts of things you buy until you’re sure you won’t be returning them.
It is also pertinent to note that Walmart has the full right to decline a return with receipt and, of course, a refund, and the final decision is based on what the store manager says.