Can you use ebt on amazon?: EBT (Electronic Benefits Transfer) cardholders previously could not use their food stamps online but now it’s available to use on Amazon.
Amazon has now taken part in a pilot program for the online acceptance of SNAP EBT benefits run by the US Department of Agriculture. All states except Alaska, Hawaii, Louisiana, and Montana allow SNAP EBT cardholders to use their benefits at Amazon.
We addressed the query “Can you use EBT on Amazon?” in this article, as well as the requirements for both the payment and the merchandise, as well as how to add EBT to Amazon.
Can You Use EBT On Amazon: All You Need To Know
Yes you can use ebt on Amazon.
One of the many lessons the pandemic taught us was that not everything needs to be purchased directly from the source, even food! Thankfully, there are wonderful and useful home services available today that make life easier.
Recent emphasis has been focused on a new effort that will help the community greatly.
It concerns SNAP EBT, a Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) administered by the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) whose major goal is to offer nutritional benefits to support the food budget of low-income households.
Its ability to greatly increase access to healthful foods is, in a sense, one of its biggest advantages.
The capabilities related to Amazon purchases are without a doubt one of the perks that have garnered the most attention for the SNAP EBT card.
Amazon is now a part of the pilot run by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). This means you can now use the card as your payment method.
Customers in areas that qualify can buy vegetables, meat, dairy, and other foods that are SNAP-eligible at Amazon Grocery and Amazon Fresh.
You won’t be able to use EBT on Amazon if you live in Alaska, Hawaii, Louisiana, or Montana, among other states.
People who live in other US states can, however, completely benefit from this payment option.
You can also read about How To Use Vanilla Gift Card On Amazon.
What Is An EBT Card?
An EBT card (Electronic Benefits Transfer), is a card that enables a SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) participant to purchase food using SNAP funds at participating stores and other locations.
If you’re a participant and you shop at a SNAP-authorized retail store, your SNAP EBT account is debited to reimburse the store for food that was purchased.
In 45 states plus the District of Columbia, customers with a valid card will be able to purchase groceries on Amazon Fresh and Amazon.com. Additionally, to increase the acceptance of SNAP benefits in Alaska, Hawaii, Louisiana, Maine, and Montana, Amazon is collaborating with the USDA.
How Can I Use SNAP/EBT on Amazon?
To use your SNAP/EBT on Amazon, there are few procedures to take before you can begin using your EBT card on Amazon.
Before doing anything else, you must link your Amazon account to your SNAP EBT card.
To add your SNAP/EBT card to your Amazon account, here’s what you’ll need to do:
For Desktop/Browser Guide
- Visit amazon website through your browser
- Sign in to your Amazon account.
- Navigate to the top right corner and hover on Account & Lists. Select Account from the dropdown menu and proceed.
- After selecting the account, you will be taken to a screen with several options. Select Your Payments.
- From here, you can now add the EBT card as a payment method. During checkout, this new card will appear as a payment option.
For Mobile app (IOS/Android) Guide
- Open the Amazon Shopping application on your mobile device.
- Tap on the profile icon on the navigation bar and click on Your Account.
- Tap on Payments and Subscriptions.
- Click on Add a payment method to add the new card to your account.
By following the steps above either on your PC or mobile device, you add your EBT card to your Amazon account. This will automatically save that card to your account so that you can use it for future orders.
From here, you can start shopping on Amazon for your grocery needs. Add all the items you want to your cart and continue to checkout.
You will be able to pay for the eligible items after you reach the checkout process by entering the EBT card PIN.
When you enter your PIN, you will be able to see how much of your total, if any, can be paid for using another payment method.
What States Can Use EBT on Amazon?
While EBT is available in all 50 states for retail stores selling groceries, this is not the case on Amazon. Currently, you cannot use your EBT card in states like Alaska, Hawaii, Louisiana, and Montana.
If you live in any of these four states, you will not have the option to use EBT as a payment method on Amazon.
You may have to choose a different online grocery platform or simply buy your specialty items through Amazon that you do not need to be covered by EBT.
Regardless, you will need to select a different card type to checkout through Amazon for your groceries.
How Do I Verify EBT On Amazon?
To verify your EBT to start receiving the benefits that come with it, do the following:
- Go to amazon.com/primeaccess.
- Select Get Started.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to verify your EBT card or another qualifying document.
The verification process is straightforward. Ideally, you’ll get verified without having to wait long.
Are there Amazon benefits for those on SNAP?
If you’re eligible to use EBT on Amazon, you get access to many benefits, such as:
- Free access to Amazon Fresh: In most metro areas, SNAP clients are granted free access to Amazon Fresh without the need for a Prime membership.
- Free Delivery is Available: Customers who order groceries from Amazon for $25 or more and who purchase Amazon Fresh items for $35 or more ($50 in New York City) are eligible for free shipping.
- Exclusive Deals: EBT users get special savings on fruits, vegetables, food staples, and other necessities. One significant benefit is that Amazon often updates its selection of bargains from the most well-known grocery store brands, such as Quaker Oats, Campbell Soup, Kraft-Heinz, Fresh Brand, and others.
- EBT and government assistance customers can join Amazon Prime for just $5.99/month (regularly $12.99/month) thanks to a 50% discount. In addition to receiving free delivery on millions of items, Prime members also have access to Prime Video and Amazon Music, among other perks. The aforementioned advantages are available without Prime membership.
What Items Are Eligible With EBT?
Generally, EBT covers groceries and edibles. These are some of the brands that are covered by EBT:
- Frito Lay
- Pure Protein
You need not worry about what items are eligible. You can easily find this by filtering your search results to show only items that are EBT-eligible.
This saves time and gives a more targeted search result.
Items You Cannot Buy With SNAP/EBT on Amazon?
These products can’t be purchased on Amazon with SNAP or EBT:
- Ancillary purchases (i.e. home decor, clothing, technology, etc.)
- Toilet paper, paper towels, and other basic household supplies
- Items for personal hygiene
- Alcoholic drinks
- Dog food
You should be aware that SNAP/EBT can only be used to purchase qualifying food goods on Amazon; as a result, you won’t be able to use your EBT card to purchase if the item is not covered by SNAP/EBT benefits.
Can You Buy EBT and Non-EBT Items in the Same Order?
Yes. You can add EBT and Non-EBT to the cart at a time and proceed to checkout. Amazon lets you split payments between your EBT card and other payment methods on your account.
This process is similar to buying from a physical store. When you have items that qualify for EBT and those that do not, you use your EBT card to pay for qualifying items and another card to pay for others.
Just take note that if you have EBT-eligible and non-eligible items in the same order, you won’t be able to checkout without adding a second payment method.
Can You Use EBT With A Business Account?
Yes you can.
If you run a business account, you will need to sign in to your account to use EBT as a payment method.
For those who only have business accounts, you can open a personal Amazon account for free and add your EBT card as a payment method.
If you are eligible for SNAP or EBT, you receive many advantages. Register your EBT with Amazon and confirm your identity before using your benefits to view all of the discounts that are available to you.
This post ought to have given you a wealth of information if you were interested in finding out if you could use EBT on Amazon when you came here.